Secret garden finished!

At some point I thought I’d never finish it… But now it is finished! All sleeves, i-cords for tying in place and no more loose ends.

secret garden_blocking1

And after blocking.

secretgarden_finished

And with matching bonnet!

secretgarden_bonnet

Pattern review:

Pattern

Secret Garden by Anna Richardson, OneHandKnits

Ups

  • Very nice and stretchy lace pattern!
  • Cute pattern
  • Once you figure out how to read it, easy to follow.

Downs

  • The sizes are a bit tricky to separate in the written instructions. It’s mainly the beginnings and the endings of each row that are separated in the same way as the sizes, i.e. Newborn (3-6mos; 9-12mos; 15-18mos).
  • As I mentioned before, I can’t see the point in knitting so small a cardi in pieces and sew them together. Instead I modified the pattern to knit it all in one piece.
0

Knitting sleeves

I’m decided to finish my Secret garden now before starting something new and/or continuing on my Silver Belle.

2013-12-14 17.27.11

I couldn’t resist adding the moss green i-cord at the bottom just to see the result.

2013-12-14 17.27.35

But knitting on an i-cord to the end of the sleeve wasn’t my cup of tea. In fact I don’t think it’s very practical. Babies have small hands and very likely short arms (especially if the cardi will be something to grow in). Should the sleeve be too long an i-cord cuff will not remain on the wrist. So I ripped the i-cord cuff and knitted on a ribbed cuff instead.

2013-12-14 17.27.24

Only the rest of the second sleeve and the ribbons to tie with left!

2

Secret garden progress

I’m happy to report that the Secret garden is coming along, somewhat nicely.

It’s veeery soft, but a lesson learnt is probably that the stitch definition in this lace pattern in DROPS Baby Alpaca Silk and a set of 3 mm needles isn’t perfect. I hope blocking will even it out a little. It’s mainly the decreases that becomes a bit uneven.

2013-12-03 21.19.51

 

I did the body piece in one piece and from row 57 I  finishing the back and front pieces separately.

I’m not sure if I made a mistake (design features, yep), but for a 3 needle bind-off I did 4 extra rows on each front piece to finish with 22 live stitches on each shoulder. Likewise I left 22 live stitches for each shoulder on the back piece on the bind-off row. Then I used the 3 needle bind-off to fit the pieces together.

2013-12-03 21.19.59

 

Instead of slipping stitches between the pieces I followed the chart A and knit the last stitch through the back loop making a nice distinction in the sides.

Now, ready for sleeves! And then finishing details like I-chords.

0