New challenge

The good thing about clothes for small people is that they’re not much bigger than a shawl project. My next challenge is the small cardigan Secret Garden from Anna Richardson.

However, I can’t see the point in knitting that small a cardigan in parts to sew it together. After some struggle in reading the pattern (because of how the various extras for each size is written out) I decided to cast on for all parts at once knitting front pieces and back pieces together until I reach the armpits. Then I plan to finish each part separately leaving the shoulders with live stitches for a 3 needle bind-off.

I’ve replaced the slipped stitches on the back piece with whatever stitch is next according to the A chart. (I can’t be more detailed since it’s a pattern for purchase…)

And I think I’m getting picky (changing patterns to my own taste and all…). I really can’t see the benefit of the cast-on method chosen in the pattern and finally went with the traditional long-tail cast-on.

I’ve chosen another color from DROPS Babyalpaca and thought I would do the I-cord details in the same green I did the bonnet.

2013-10-31 19.17.28

0

Small bonnet for small head

There are of course many patterns for baby cloth and hats no less.

After many choosy hours I decided to try Anne Bouets Marius Bonnet. I went through my stash only to discover my stash lacks of happy baby colors. Finally I fell for a moss or olive green alpaca from DROPS, which I think could go well with a pale baby face.

I discovered a miss in the pattern, row 3 in the lace section. A yarn over is missing after the slip 2 together, knit 1 and pass slipped stitch over. So, with that little yarn over added things worked nicely.

I did a few more changes. Instead of knitting the ribbing edge on the front, bind off before picking up the garter stitches and adding ribbing to the back separately, I picked up the garter stitches on the first round of working the ribbing. On the bind off round I knitted past and left the 4 first stitches on the garter on a holder. From the last 4 stitches (the other garter section) I continued with an I-cord. Finally I went back to pick up the 4 stitches on the holder and made another I-cord for tying.

2013-10-26 18.57.35

2013-10-26 18.57.42

1