There are many ways to author knit patterns. Some good, others not so good. As you might have seen I’m working on a hat for my baby girl and this pattern is lacking in many ways.
1. The pattern is basically just a huge chart covering everything. Instead of braking it down with repeats of smaller chart chunks I’m squinting my eyes, making mistakes and so on because it’s difficult to see where I am (and since many parts are repeats I find it hard to understand why it’s charted this way).
2. There’s no row count or even stitch count maked. I’ve marked it out myself as a help.
3. Later on there are increases and decreases, but the effect doesn’t show in the chart. I.e. the stitch count is off.
Of course you can write patterns like this not too concerned about the knitter and half expecting only skilled knitters to buy your patterns and books.
But I find that I much prefer the patterns that are authored with care to encourage knitters to learn new techniques etc. Not fogetting the challenge in braking down charts into nice followable chunks and neat succint instructions.
I dyed a Madelinetosh Merino Light earlier this year that came out a bit too crazy for my tast. Too much contrast and too many shades. I have since then planned to improve it and did so this last Wednesday. However my memory is a bit poor at the moment (or perhaps my mind is fully occupied with a whole bunch of other things to remember…)
Anyway, I forgot about it and realized yesterday (half a week later) that I had an ongoing dye sitting in the bathroom waiting to be rinsed. Ooops!
The pictures come out a little light. The yarn is actually quite dark with a hint of petrol and purple in it.
I’m starting to sound like a junkie. A yarn junkie.
Remember the buttons I worked on? Somehow they became necklaces instead… Ooops! And just because I don’t think I need five of them I’ve just now made two available in my Etsy shop.
However, there are enough branches to make some buttons too… so eventually.
So I paused the evolution shawl. I reached chart 3 and the knit count was off. Had 2 extra stitches in each section. I hate when stuff like that happens. Just stops the flow. I’m not sure if I did something wrong or if there’s been one too many increases in the previous chart. I don’t really care at this point. Just glad I’m back on track.
Now that it’s been handed over, I can show the Tosh Tea Cakes I bought this July when visiting Jimmy Beans Wool.
These are a JBW exclusive and contain 12×20 yards of Madelinetosh yarn – I got the Tosh Merino Light version – as well as a tea bag and a biscuit, plus a link to download a mitt pattern.
Berry Blackcurrant for Anneli:
And Mojito Mint Green for me.
I was out cutting some smaller branches when suddenly I came across something magical. Some of them had like a pink eye. (They make me think of the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland.)
I’ve been meaning to try making buttons from branches the whole summer. Now I couldn’t resist getting started.
I wonder if that pink will remain though as they dry up. I’ll just have to wait and see. And then drilling the holes without breaking them…
I’ve mostly been knitting on things I can’t blog about lately, but these aren’t included in that. Cast on before I went to Barcelona, knit on in the Arizona desert, LA, San Francisco… and not one single row on an airplane, as always. I must just not be a plane knitter.
Skew in Fab Funky Fibre’s Northern Lights.
Moment of “how on EARTH will this turn into a heel”…
But it did!
And two. Well. One and a… quarter.
The first rows on the toddler hat. I love the color combination! They feel fresh and wintery.
It was fun to experiment with my jeaba colors. Green is probably one of the trickiest colors as I have to blend in myself. Also, so many things affect the result. You cam make the shade lighter either by using the transparant dye, much yellow or the amount of dye per hank. Each method gives a different result.
To the left I used a mix of blue, quite much yellow and some purple.
The middle version is a mix of much yellow, transparent and just a little blue dye.
The right version is a mix of yellow, transparent and more blue than in the previous example. To make it kind of minty I kind of rubbed in the dye (without felting obviously) which means I didn’t need as much due as to the others.